Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Nun on the London Tube

So have you heard the one about the nun on the London Tube? No, well, me neither. It just occurred to me when I was giving a title to this post that it sounded like a joke. [smile] Last time I was in London, I happened to be sitting in a train next to a nun... completely habit wearing, kind older woman stereotypical nun. The nun's not really the odd part of the story. The oddity is the crazy urge I had to ask this woman who I don't know from Adam (or should I say Eve) why she chose to be a nun and how she knew it was the right thing for her. I should have said something I guess, I mean, wearing a habit is sort of a visible signal that she wouldn't think I was absolutely ridiculous. The problem or issue is that I keep having this same desire. There's this person I know through a friend who is my age and who is basically serving currently as a full-time, career missionary and I keep thinking if I can just ask them why maybe I'll be able to find some answers myself. Then last night at an event at a community church I've attended several times while in Bristol I happened to be sitting next to a couple who I learned had been missionaries in Pakistan for 12 years... about 16 years ago, when they were around my age. And all I could ask was if they enjoyed their time in mission... to which they replied yes of course.


But that's still not asking the question that I'm really after... WHY? I know at issue is my own contemplation of what's next for me, but it takes great courage to ask the right questions and patience to wait for the right time.

Just, Margaret

3 comments:

BEAT said...

Good question. Legitimate question. But their why may not be your why.

Janell said...

While I was in Italy, we visited Assisi. In the crypt where St. Francis is buried, there were monks kneeling and praying. I had the strongest urge to tap one of them on the shoulder and ask the same questions.

Kacie said...

Just ask! Most likely, if they chose to do it, they were passionate about their choice and would be glad to tell their story. I spent my childhood overseas because of my parent's jobs, and I LOVE when people actually care about my story.