Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Misplaced my towel.

Those of you who've read Hitchhiker's Guide will understand the title of this post to mean that I'm a bit confused these days. So many thoughts are bouncing around in my head... what still needs to be researched for my dissertation, booking my ticket home in October, finalizing my travel plans for my trip to France, and deciding what to do with my life. Read in preparation for Bible study tonight something that felt relevant. Maybe it just felt profound to me because of my current state of mind, but I still want to share. The closing statement to the lesson was: "The risk in playing it safe is the risk that we never grow into the person we are called to be." So I added another question to my list: Who am I called to be? I feel like I'm on the cusp of a big change in my life, leading to what I'm not sure and I guess that's kind of the point of this post. I'm entering a period of discernment and maybe reading a book that humorously attempts to provide a survival guide to the vast universe of which we are only a small part is the perfect place to start... "Don't Panic."


Just, Margaret

2 comments:

Katie B said...

So you're enjoying HHGG?

Margaret said...

Yeah. Plus its like the Holy Grail for making friends. One of the new residents of my student house from Spain stopped me in the kitchen last night to say she was re-reading it this summer (this time in English).