Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Blast from the Past

So last night I found my favorite favorite childhood movie on YouTube... the whole thing. WILD HEARTS CAN'T BE BROKEN!!!!!! I was in heaven or maybe just "Atlantic City: Where all you're dreams come true." Not sure if anyone else out there will remember this film, but I think I watched it ten bazillion times. I know for a while it was the only movie my sisters and I would want to rent from the video store. It got so bad that my parents just refused to rent it (or at least that's what I remember)... Grammy on the other hand would always let us rent it when we were visiting. Watching it all over again reminded me how much I loved it. I was a little wary at first... wondered if my honed movie tastes might gag on the syrupy sweetness of the "dream big and it will happen/you'll also meet the man of your dreams" plot, but they so didn't. I think I loved it just as much as I did when I was a kid. I also remembered how much I thought the actor who played Al (Michael Schoeffling, aka "Jake Ryan") was "the bomb" with his perfect 90s bowl haircut and serious, yet charming voice and the whole protector/supporter role. I think he was my first real crush. Wonder what he's doing now? There are so many reasons why I love this movie, but the best one I can think to share is that my sisters and I all loved it. And with five years separating our ages it was kinda a rare thing. Other than that I think I've always been one for movies with a female lead who lives her dreams. I couldn't embed the video, but click here if you want to see one of my favorite scenes in the movie... Sonora's first critical dive in Atlantic city and the proposal.


Just, Margaret

Disclaimer: I do realize this is such a silly post, but sometimes reliving the old days is exactly the thing you need. By the way I am loving the Hitchhiker's Guide Series... just about to finish book 2 of the 5 part trilogy. [smile]

1 comments:

Madwag said...

Hi.

Found your blog and just wanted to say hello from another American living in Bristol. I have been here 7 years now and love it. I'm a mum and married w/ loads of pets.

Cheers,

Patti