Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Sunday, May 24, 2009

"A heart strangely warmed..."

I was reminded this evening that tonight is a very special night in Methodist history.  I think I'll mostly leave this post with the words of John Wesley the founder of Methodism, who like my good friend I am also quite partial to. 

24 May 1738
In the evening I went very unwillingly to a society in Aldersgate Street, where one was reading Luther's preface to the Epistle to the Romans.  

About a quarter before nine, while he was describing the change which God works in the heart through faith in Christ, I felt my heart strangely warmed.  

I felt I did trust in Christ, Christ alone for salvation; and an assurance was given me that he had taken away my sins, even mine and saved me from the law of sin and death.  
In MethSoc worship this evening that began around five to nine, in the country of Wesley's birth and much of his ministry, as silly as it sounds I too felt a singular heart warming as these thoughts were read aloud to the small group gathered at the chaplaincy.   Mine was a feeling of gratitude for the experience of this man 271 years earlier that has so shaped my life.  Wesley's warmed heart was a part of the plan God had for my family.  My parents met at youth camp retreat at Epworth by the Sea (in Georgia) essentially because of this event in 1738.  I may not be a direct descendant of Wesley, but I do consider him an ancestor.  The words also serve as a reminder to me of the need to keep open my heart to receive God and to remain aware of these significant "epiphany"/"Pentecost" moments.  I'm not one of our family's pastors so I'm not going to try to preach any further, but I will close with a short verse of scripture I read this morning while at Quaker Meeting (another Wesley connection, but I won't go into all that now) that I think reinforces Wesley's thoughts.  
Acts 2:25-28 (emphasis my own)
   I saw the Lord always before me, 
     Because he is at my right hand, 
     I will not be shaken.  
Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
     my body also will live in hope.
because you will not abandon me to the grave, 
     nor will you let your Holy One see decay. 
You have mad know to me the paths of life; 
     You will fill me with joy in your presence. 
Just, Margaret

0 comments: