Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Makeshift clothesline


Sunday is usually laundry day for me.  Let me explain a bit about my laundry situation.  First you must understand that until this point I've led a charmed life, well at least in regards to washing and drying my clothes.  [smile] The laundry rooms of my childhood homes (we only lived in one at a time, we just moved a lot) were my parent's, mostly my mom's, domain.  We were asked to help out around the house (make our beds every day, set the table, clean our rooms, fold clothes ect.), but until I was getting ready to go to college I didn't know how to work the washer or dryer.  Then at LaGrange College I continued to live my laundry fairy tale.  Okay I was quickly introduced to the curse of trying to secure a free washer or dryer, but I through my entire college career I did not have to pay for one load of laundry.  Yes you read that correctly.  LaGrange College in addition to challenging minds and inspiring souls also treats their on campus students to free laundry facilities.  I'd say waiting for an open machine was a small price to pay.  Then again when I moved to North Dakota and Louisiana still no coin operated machines for me.  In North Dakota I actually had a pair of machines just for me, so no waiting!  It was great.  


So I guess it was just a matter of time that eventually I would be introduced to the real world of coin operated laundry machines.  And what better place than here. Luckily MIH does have a washing machine on site so I don't have to walk with a heavy duffle of laundry to a laundromat.  Not so luckily, we don't have a dryer... a drying room yes, but no dryer.  This has taken some time to get used to, but mostly it works okay.  Except for this week.  This is an old house and the boiler has been on the fritz, the heat of which helps keep the drying room warm.  Consequently the room is full as its taking longer for things to dry and I'm left with trying to find a space for my clothes.  I got about half of my laundry in the room, but the other half are back in my room "hanging out." (Sorry for the pun... it was just too perfect. [smile])  I've got them hanging in my open window, hoping our rain won't come back this afternoon.  Actually I'm not sure how much good hanging them in my open window is doing, because its quite cloudy and chilly today.  I'm counting on my good laundry karma.  Here's hoping it works.  

Just, Margaret

0 comments: