Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Top Sales

Today I picked up an extra shift of volunteering at our local Oxfam charity book shop.  Since moving to Clifton Village, I've stopped by the bookshop at least twice a month.  Most of the time trying very hard to resist buying another book.  It definitely helps to have the local branch of the library right across the street.  On more than one occasion I've found a book I'd like to buy then run over to the library and borrowed it. [smile]  Anyway I decided a couple of weeks ago that I'd really like to volunteer a couple of hours a week at the shop to bring a little stability to my schedule and hopefully to take advantage of the opportunity to meet a few more people in my neighborhood.  I've worked a couple of times so far and its been really great.  Today was my first shift totally by myself and it went really well.  The manager checked the afternoon sales and they were about equal to all that was sold yesterday.  Perhaps this is because Thursday gets sales from people anticipating the free time for the weekend, maybe it was just a fluke.  I like to think the spike in sales was because of the extra sweet smile of the Georgia "Peach" behind the counter.  My mission to spread Southern hospitality wherever I go seems fairly secure.


Just, Margaret  

0 comments: