Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Its good to be exhausted.

MIH Group Photo

Saturday I joined most of the other student residents of my house for the annual "Day Out."  Loaded in a big coach with picnic supplies, we headed to Wales borderlands (Tintern Abbey and the Osc Valley to be exact).  What a fun day we had despite the chilly wind and occasional spot of rain.  We did see a bit of sun and my cheeks are rosy and have that warm summery feeling I've missed so far this spring.  What follows are a few photos and a peek into my thoughts for the day... which includes some brief journaling I did while on site hence the stream of consciousness form.  Something about just having a day to relax opened up my soul.  The landscape, though beautiful in its uniqueness, was also reminiscent of the North
 Georgia mountains.  So the day was a strange combination of remembering and creating new memories. A significant day for me in ways I don't feel completely able to express yet.  
  
It is nice to be reminded why you love something/one.  Wandering around Tintern Abbey, I suddenly have this feeling of peace that I am doing what I love, that ruins still entrance me with their memory.  "A lonely ruin what does it tell us about humanity." The poetry of space... It is so lovely to just wander and make up my own story.  Very different feeling to my field trips with my course.  Laughter with questions. 

A word for the sound of water.  Someone asked me if the English language had a word for the sound of the water flowing, falling.  Suddenly English seems so inadequate.   

When was the last time I lay down in a grassy field like this... years ago I think. [smile]

Hope you enjoyed the brief tour of my Saturday.    
Just, Margaret

0 comments: