Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Sunday, May 31, 2009

May Film Review

You know the drill. 


Not sure if this should really be added to the list for this month, but I did spend a lovely evening with some girlfriends at MIH watching all six episodes on the first disc so I think it should count for something.  Of course the episodes were funny and romantic, but what I always like best about SEX AND THE CITY is how much they remind me of sitting around a table with my best friends.  When "The Nine" (my Carries, Charlottes, Mirandas, and yes even Samanthas) are together we speak our own language and picking up conversations right where we left off.  They know me and its always nice to be reminded of that bond.  (5 out of 5) 

"A romantic comedy with zombies..." need I say more.  Absolutely hilarious.  If you have not seen it go rent it now.  The whole concept sounds ridiculous, but that's the brillance of it... it actually is ridiculous.  Aside from the romantic comedy framework and the goofy best friend, I think what I liked most about the movie was the use of plot and cinematic mirroring.  So funny how the scene with Shaun walking to the corner shop on a normal day and a zombie day were so similar.  So funny that Yvonne's team of zombie slayers is a mirror image of Shaun's.  But the last scene of zombie-Ed playing video games in the garden shed was priceless.  Like I said rent it tonight.  (5 out of 5) 

This film was a lot like THE DA VINCI CODE- a criticism I also had of the book.  Very talky, highly scripted, quite complicated plot.  Still I did have fun with the historical mystery and glimpsing Vatican archives, even if just a fictional version was so cool, but that's just the nerd in me.  [smile]  (3 out of 5)

I first saw this super silly film when it first came out on video.  I watched it again because it was on TV.  When I watch a film like this I can't think about it or rate it in terms of a classic film, but if you think about the disaster movie genre, i.e. The Poseidon Adventure, Airplane, and Twister, then SOAP is a fantastic.  It's perfect for a good laugh.  "Spork?" "Time is tissue."  [smile] (2 out of 5)

These next few don't seem to really fit into my review scheme... they're movies I've seen before actually many times (I own them), but happened to re-watch this month.  So no stars, just a few thoughts about why I keep watching these movies. 

MY FAIR LADY:  Simply a classic.  The costumes, especially the scene at Ascot, are marvelous, music great, casting superb.  One thing that I always find difficult to understand is why Eliza settles upon Prof. Higgins as the man she loves.  With every re-watch I almost expect the ending to be different, either she strikes out on her own with her new independence or she gives in to Freddie's devotion.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the play does end differently right?

COLD MOUNTAIN:  "It's her.  She's the place I'm heading and I hardly know her. I hardly know her.  And I just can't seem to get back to her."  An epic romance set in the beauty of the North Carolina mountains.  I love the thought of Iman being spurred on toward home in response to Ada's call, "Come back to me."  To be so loved... well I'm sure it only happens in fiction and film, still its nice to think that it could happen. 

Just, Margaret

0 comments: