Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  
Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Wisdom of The Mews

One of my favorite pastimes is just walking around the streets in Clifton Village, where I live.  Its not a particularly large commercial area, but the shops are all quirky and you never know what you'll find.  I should also clarify that Clifton is the "posh" area of Bristol so mostly I just window shop.  Just a few feet from my front door is a small bridal boutique and each week they change the dress in the window. Some of the dresses I've liked, others I can't imagine ever wearing.  Last week the dress in the window was perfect... simple, understated, and sweet.  In saying all that I know it must sound like I'm one of those girls who when she was little planned out all that day would entail, but I promise I'm not, really.  My little sisters and I used to pretend with our box of dress up clothes and baby dolls, but I can't remember a time when we imagineered a wedding, except maybe between Ken and Barbie.  [smile]  Despite that I must have over the years of watching movies and flipping through family photo albums arrived at some idea of what I might like because looking at the dress I just knew.  


Anyway, all of that is just a way to explain why I happened to find myself in a bridal boutique last week in conversation with the manager.  What was really more significant with the encounter than finding out who designed the dress and the name of the design was the advice the boutique manager imparted.  With my negative response to her question of whether I was shopping with a particular date in mind, she said "just remember that you can't find the perfect man.  We're not perfect so how can we expect them to be."  It was as if she was saying the perfect dress may be attainable, but that's about all I can promise you for your wedding day.  Anyway the whole encounter just struck me as quite unique and the woman to be particularly wise... maybe it was her years of experience with fussy brides.  Like I said, you never know what you'll find while window shopping.

Just, Margaret 

1 comments:

Kacie said...

How fun - random pieces of advice from strangers. My husband bought our engagement ring in Bristol when he was back visiting - he grew up there.